Want to know What is Asparagus in Hindi and Other Indian Languages? What is it called natively in India in different states? Read ahead to find out!
Asparagus is an exotic vegetable rich in fiber, calcium, iron, folate, vitamins A, C, and K. In recent times, it has become quite popular in India thanks to the health benefits it offers. If you want to know What is Asparagus in Hindi and Other Indian Languages, then we have all the information for you!
Have a glance at the amazing health benefits of Asparagus here
Asparagus is a vegetable known for its tender, edible shoots. These shoots, usually green but also available in purple and white varieties, are harvested and eaten. Asparagus is valued for its unique flavor and is a good source of nutrition, offering dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Asparagus plant Information
The Asparagus plant is a versatile perennial that grows well in various climates and soil types. Known for its tender, edible shoots, this plant is a culinary favorite.
To cultivate Asparagus, well-drained soil rich in organic matter is essential. Plant it in sunny to partially shaded locations and maintain regular watering. Harvesting involves collecting young shoots by snapping or cutting them at ground level, allowing the plant to regrow for future harvests.
Asparagus is not only delicious but also nutritious, offering low-calorie, fiber-rich, and vitamin-packed benefits. It supports digestive health and boosts the immune system. In summary, Asparagus in India is a valuable addition to gardens and diets, known for its culinary appeal and nutritional value.
Asparagus Scientific Name: Asparagus officinalis
Asparagus Common Name: Sparrow grass
Different Species of Asparagus
These are different species and common names of plants in the Asparagus genus. They are:
- Asparagus Setaceus: Commonly known as “Asparagus Fern” or “Lace Fern,” it is a popular ornamental plant with delicate, feathery foliage.
- Asparagus Racemosus: Known as “Shatavari” in Ayurvedic medicine, it is a medicinal plant with tuberous roots, often used for its potential health benefits.
- Asparagus Densiflorus: This plant is commonly called “Asparagus Fern” as well, but it is a different species from Asparagus setaceus. It is also known as “Foxtail Fern” due to its dense, upright growth.
- Asparagus Aethiopicus: Also known as “Sprenger’s Asparagus” or “Asparagus Fern,” it’s another species of ornamental asparagus commonly used in landscaping.
These plants vary in appearance and uses, with some being cultivated for ornamental purposes, while others, like Asparagus racemosus, have medicinal significance in traditional medicine systems.
Explore How to Grow Laxman Phal Fruit here
Culinary Uses of Asparagus
Asparagus plant has an earthy flavor and you can consume it raw in salads, or prepare it by boiling, grilling, roasting, steaming, and sauteing. Asparagus is a delicious addition to many dishes including stir-fries, frittatas, omelets, pasta and many Asparagus recipe.
Here’s everything you need to know about growing Asparagus in India
What is Asparagus Called in Hindi and Other Indian Languages?
Asparagus Meaning in Hindi: “शतावरी” (Shatavari)
The Asparagus in Marathi: Hirvegar
Asparagus in Angami: Siepru, Seihu, Zeipr
The Asparagus in Assamese: Satomul
Asparagus in Bengali: Satamuli
The Asparagus in Gujarati: Shatavari
Asparagus in Kannada: Halavu makkala taayi beru, Shatavari
The Asparagus in Konkani: Satavari
Asparagus in Nepali: Kurelo, Nigalo
The Asparagus in Malayalam: Sathavari
Asparagus in Manipuri: Nunggarei
The Asparagus in Oriya: Vari
Asparagus in Sanskrit: Satamuli
The Asparagus in Tamil: Tannir-vittan
Asparagus in Tangkhul: Kameoseihawon
The Asparagus in Telugu: Abiruvu, Pilla-pitsara
Asparagus in Urdu: Satawar
Other Asparagus Names: Buttermilk root, Climbing asparagus, Water root, Wild asparagus, Wild carrot
Asparagus offers several health benefits, including:
- Nutrient-Rich: It’s a good source of vitamins (A, C, K), minerals (folate, potassium), and fiber.
- Antioxidant Properties: Asparagus contains antioxidants that may reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Digestive Health: It’s high in fiber, promoting digestive regularity.
- Weight Management: Low in calories and rich in fiber, it can aid in weight loss and appetite control.
- Blood Sugar Control: Some compounds may help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Healthy Pregnancy: Folate content is important for fetal development.
- Diuretic Effect: It may help reduce water retention and promote urine flow.
- Bone Health: Contains vitamin K, which is crucial for bone health.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Certain compounds may have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Cognitive Health: Folate and other nutrients support brain function.
Incorporating asparagus into a balanced diet can contribute to overall health and well-being.