Do you know all about the National Flower of India? Check out some important facts and Kamal Flower Information to know more about the Indian Lotus!
Native to Asia, Lotus is the national flower of India. It is an emblem of beauty, grace, purity, and is considered a very auspicious flower in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Spirituality. Let’s have a look at more details on Kamal Flower Information.
Botanical Name: Nelumbo nucifera
Other Names: Ambal, Thamarai, Kamala, Kanwal, Kamal Suriya kamal, Padma, Ambuja, Pankaja, Indian Lotus, Sacred Water lily
The Lotus Flower
This aquatic plant thrives in ponds, lakes, cloudy water, and swampy areas. It has several waxy petals that overlap each other and come in white and pink colors.
The roots of the plant are submerged in the mud. It sends out long stems to the water surface from where the floating leaves are connected. Lotus bloom over the water surface by standing atop hollow stems. It unfurls during the morning hours and closes back in the mid-afternoon.
Kamal Flower Information
1. According to a study, lotus can control its temperature like birds and mammals!
2. The plant can grow up to 12-18 inches tall and can spread up to 5-8 feet.
3. Surprisingly, the flower, leaves, seeds, and even roots of the lotus are all edible.
4. Lotus plants can survive long droughts and contrary to popular belief, are fairly easy to grow and maintain.
Growing Lotus Flower
Growing lotus is fairly easy from seeds. It needs still, shallow water and damp soil to thrive. If you are growing lotus plants from rhizomes, fill a container with garden soil, cover the rhizomes with the growing medium, leaving just the tip exposed. Now top off the container with water 2 inches below the tip.
Lotus requires 4-6 hours of bright sunlight daily for good growth and blooms.
Medicinal Uses of Lotus
- Lotus seeds are astringent and are beneficial for the kidney, and heart.
- The Seeds also help in curing restlessness and insomnia.
- Their consumption is also beneficial for heart and liver problems.
- The leaves of the lotus in combination with other herbs are helpful in treating sunstroke, fever, and vomiting.