Growing Portulaca in India is easy and can be done all year-round. Let’s have a look at all the details on How to Grow 9 O Clock Flower for its lovely blooms!
Portulaca is an annual with colorful blooms. It can be a wonderful addition to both pots and landscapes. Let’s have a look at How to Grow 9 O Clock Flower in India!
Learn everything about growing Parijat flower in India here
What is 9 ‘o’clock?
The flower earned this name due to its feature of blooming around 9-10 pm in the morning. 9 ‘o’clock is an annual bedding plant, producing tiny, cup-shaped flowers in yellow, orange, red, pink, white to cream shades.
This plant looks spectacular when it spills from window boxes and baskets.
Botanical Name: Portulaca grandiflora
Other Names: Moss rose, Pigweed, Purslane, Portulaca, Sun rose
How to Grow 9 O Clock Flower
- Purchase good quality seeds from the local seed supplier or vendor.
- Sow them in a well-draining potting mix.
- Water well and place the container at any bright, indirect light.
- The seeds will germinate within 10-14 days.
- You can propagate moss rose plant by snipping 3-5 inches long stem cutting.
- Take away all leaves from the cutting, except leaving a few at the top.
- Fill a pot with a potting mix, and plant it.
- Water well and place the container in bright but indirect light.
- The cutting will form roots in 10-14 days.
Growing Requirements of 9 O Clock
Purslane requires full sunlight for best flowers and growth. Place it where it gets a minimum of 5-6 hours of bright sun every day. The more light it will get, the better it will for its growth. Choose any sunny windowsill or south-facing spot for indoors.
The plant does well in porous and fertile soil. DIY your potting mix by blending 30% of coco peat, 50% of garden soil, 15% of coarse sand, and 5% of compost or aged cow dung manure. Alternatively, blend 60% of loamy soil, 25% of coco Peat, 10% of organic compost, and 5% of neem khali.
9 o clock is a drought-tolerant plant, as it retains water in its succulent stems. So, water only when the top 2-inch of the soil feels dry to touch. Avoid overwatering to keep it safe from fungal issues.
Portulaca Plant Care
The 9 o clock flower plant is not a heavy feeder. Use a balanced fertilizer, diluted to 1/4 of its strength, once in 3-4 weeks. You can also use a handful of organic feed like cow dung manure or vermicompost. Avoid feeding it in winter.
9 ‘o’clock flowering plant is fond of a warm and dry environment. The ideal temperature for its growth and bountiful blooming lies between 20-30 C.
Go for a 6-8 inches pot with a drainage hole at the bottom. As the plant grows, re-pot in one size bigger pot.
Significance of 9 0 Clock
- This ornamental plant attracts honeybees and other friendly pollinators in the garden.
- The flower has therapeutic properties and treats many ailments like sore throat, cirrhosis of the liver, and hepatitis.
- The gel extracted from the moss rose flower is used for treating skin burns and rashes.
- The juice from the plant has uses in curing insect bites, burns, and eczema.