Here’s Everything About Grow Bags in India that you’d want to know! Read on to get all the information on one of the best container alternatives!
As the name suggests, grow bags are made up of fabric that you can fill up with growing medium to grow different plants. Here’s Everything About Growbags in India to guide you in choosing the best one for yourself!
Have a look at the best plants for terracotta pots in India here
What are Grow Bags?
Grow Bags, as the name suggests, are large or medium bags made up of different breathable fabrics. They are easy to manage, are lightweight, and can be re-used to plant different vegetables, especially the ones that don’t have deep roots like herbs, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and salad greens.
Best Vegetables to Grow in Grow Bags
Though, you can grow any plant of your choice in a grow bag, the best ones you can try are:
- All types of peppers
- Squashes, Zucchini and Summer squash grow the best in it
Here are the best vegetables to grow in pots in India
Choosing the Best Grow Bag
You will come across tonnes of options while buying a grow bag but make sure you choose the best one. Avoid buying a plastic grow bag that’s generally black in color and also sells as a trash bag. As it offers no breathability, it can be fatal for the plant.
Always go for fabric or polypropylene felt grow bags. Also, ensure they carry a BPA-free and food-safe certification.
The Pros and Cons of Grow Bags
Here are the pros and cons of grow bags that you must be aware of.
Pros of Grow Bags
- You can use them anywhere! Be it garden, home, balcony, verandah, patio, or a rooftop. You name it and a grow bag can be used there.
- As they are lighter, you can easily move them around when they don’t have any growing medium inside.
- As they are deep and offer better breathability, plants are less likely to be rootbound in them.
- As they are made of fabric, the chances of overwatering is nil in them.
- Fabric grow bags are biodegradable.
Cons of Grow Bags
- As they are made of fabric and offer better breathability, you will have to water your plants more frequently in them. So, be mindful that you have a steady water supply.
- They are not as durable as pots. While the pots can last as long as 8-10 years, you will have to replace grow bags in 2-3 years.
- They can be expensive in the long run as you might have to replace them more frequently.
- Pots and containers are available in plenty of shapes and colors. The grow bags are comparatively ugly.
- Once filled with the growing medium, the bags can get really heavy to move around.
Check out the best terrace ideas to grow vegetables here
Where to Buy Grow Bags in India?
As the grow bags are slowly getting popular amongst Indian gardeners, it is not hard to get your hands on them. You can buy them from a local garden center or a nursery in your area. There are also some good online options like Amazon that you can check out.
How to DIY a Grow Bag in India?
If you don’t want to spend money buying grow bags, then you can do it yourself for a lot cheaper.
- Here’s a great DIY for making a fabric grow bag at home.
- If you want to make a grow bag from a canvas tote, check out the DIY here.
- You can also sew a grow bag at home using landscape fabric. The DIY is here.