Do Hydrangeas Grow in India? What are their requirements? Know everything about these amazing cut flower shrubs in this article.
What Are Hydrangeas?
Hydrangea is a flowering plant that comes in a variety of colors like white, pink, blue, red, etc depending upon the acidity of the soil. This easy to grow plant is a shrub that is deciduous in nature and can go up to 6 feet tall. It is generally used as an ornamental plant in the gardens due to its beautiful flowers that blossoms in bunches, adding an elegant touch to the fine decors of your house exteriors or interiors.
Do Hydrangeas Grow in India?
Now to answer the substantial question, Do Hydrangeas Grow in India? Yes! You can grow Hydrangeas in India as well. Monsoon and winters make for the best Hydrangea Growing Season in India. Although you can plant them anywhere in India, growing hydrangeas in pots is a better option as you can move them out of scorching sunlight when the summer strikes. The Himalayan and North-East states in India have a suitable climate for growing hydrangeas all year round.
Types of Hydrangeas
There are Five Different Types of Hydrangeas that you can grow in India.
- Bigleaf/French Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla): It is one of the most common varieties of hydrangea that grows in India. These plants have big leaves and beautiful dark blue flowers. They grow best under the shades of evergreen trees.
- Climbing Hydrangeas (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris): The plants of this variety are vigorously growing woody vines. They look best on the balcony trellises or fences. They do well in dense shades and sunny spots. Besides, the sap and leaves of climbing hydrangeas are used in making drinks and syrups.
- Oakleaf/Snow queen Hydrangeas (Hydrangea quercifolia): It is a common garden plant, growing in colonies with an open crown. The flowers have a beautiful snow-white color, and flower clusters of this plant are cone-like in shape.
- Smooth Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens): This variety comes with white flowers that can go from small to medium in size and have a distinctly sweet scent. Besides, it is one of the most winter-hardy varieties of hydrangea.
- Peegee Hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata): The flowers of this variety are green-white, turning white as they age and create a two-tone effect. They usually flower during spring and summer.
Growing Hydrangeas in India
Here are the steps you need to follow if you are Growing Hydrangeas in India.
- Step 1: Although they can grow in a variety of soils but choosing a well-draining soil that is rich in organic substances and humus will be beneficial for better growth of the plant.
- Step 2: A spot under the canopy of a tree is ideal for growing Hydrangeas in the garden since the sun is intense, and a majority of our states have high temperatures, it’s better to provide partial shade to this shrub.
- Step 3: It is better to get an established hydrangea plant from a nearby nursery, but you can also grow it from seeds. Dig a hole that is deep enough to plant your seedlings or seeds and recover them with soil and a layer of mulch.
Find Best Plant Nurseries in Your City from our Directory
- Step 4: Sidedress your plant with a lot of rotted cow manure at least 2-3 times a year.
- Step 5: Water your plants well as hydrangeas require slightly moist soil to prosper well.
Hydrangea Plant Care
The plant is easy to grow and does not require constant attention. Here are some pointers that you can use to care for them.
- Do not expose your plants to direct afternoon sunlight, or this may burn the leaves of your hydrangea plant.
- Just like too much sun, the cold freezing temperatures in Himalayan states can adversely affect or may even kill the plant. So make sure to transfer the plant indoors, if growing it in a pot, or cover it with a cloth when the temperatures start falling.
- While pruning, prune only the stems that flowered in the current year, otherwise, you may not have any flowers at all in the next season.
To know more about pruning hydrangeas, Read This informative article.