Do you know what is the State Fruit of Kerala? Keep reading for all the details and how to grow it easily in your garden!
If you do not know the details about the State Fruit of Kerala, then we are here to help you! This article will give you all the answers and more!
Learn all about growing Dhature ka phool here
State Fruit of Kerala
Jackfruit is the official State Fruit of Kerala, also popular as kathal tree in Hindi. It is one of the largest fruit trees, famous for its distinctive taste and aroma. The tree can yield more than 150 fruits a year and lives for more than 100 years. Its foliage is famous as cattle food, and the wood goes into making musical instruments.
Compared to different trees, the wood of the Jackfruit plays a vital role in fighting greenhouse gases. The fruit’s flesh can be made into curries and is often used to make chips, candy, jam, and even ice cream. When roasted, the seeds work as a medicine for indigestion.
Check out Everything About Growing Raspberry here!
Jackfruit is a large evergreen tree that bears edible fruits that can range from 8-30 kgs! The inner yellow flesh is sweet and is popular for making dishes, chips, and other local delicacies.
According to a report, kathal tree, the State Fruit of Kerala is a rich source of nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, and phytochemicals.
Another study claims that the health benefits of jackfruit, the State Fruit of Kerala, have been attributed to its wide range of physicochemical applications. The routine dietary supplementation with jackfruit protects against stomach ulcers and cardiovascular disease and helps protect against certain cancers, and prevents mouth and skin diseases.
Botanical Name: Artocarpus heterophyllus
Know What is the Queen of Fruits in India here!
Requirements to Grow State Fruit of Kerela
The State Fruit of Kerela requires full sunlight to grow well and produce many fruits. Pick the sunniest spot in the garden that gets minimum sunlight for 5-6 hours daily.
Check out 22 Plants That Grow Without Sunlight here!
These fruits prefer nutrient-rich soil with excellent drainage. For growing the State Fruit of Kerala, you can amend the soil with plenty of organic matter and compost at the time of planting.
When the plant is young, keep the soil on a slightly moist side by watering it when the top layer feels a little dry to the touch. Once the State Fruit of Kerala establishes itself, it will take care of itself.
Check Out How to Prune Mulberry Plant here!
Initiatives of Government on State Fruit of Kerela
- The government has taken the initiative to promote the State Fruit of Kerela by making it popular for its organic and nutritional value.
- The government aims to increase the production and sale of the State Fruit of Kerela through branding.
- With the reward of the ‘state fruit’ status, the demand for the State Fruit of Kerela is expected to rise drastically, and more people would plan to cultivate jackfruit trees.
- It is also estimated that by selling Jackfruit, the government can increase its revenue by Rs 15,000 crore by promoting the fruit.
- The government has started distributing the State Fruit of Kerela’s saplings among locals to grow in their backyards as part of its plans to expand its cultivation.
- In addition, the government also conducts a yearly ‘jackfruit fest’ to popularize the State Fruit of Kerela.