Scutch Grass is popular for its spiritual and ayurvedic significance in India. Let’s have a look in detail about Growing Doob Grass and how to maintain it!
Durva Grass has a religious significance in India along with many therapeutic properties. All this makes Growing Doob Grass a good option in the lawns. If you are planning to grow it in your yard, then here’s all you need to know!
Learn how to grow lemongrass at home here
What is Durva Grass?
Durva grass, also known as doob, is derived from the Sanskrit words ‘duhu’ and ‘avam’; that is, it brings distant spiritual particles of god closer to the worshipper. This sacred grass is popular for its medicinal and religious significance and Hindus offer it to Lord Ganesha during pooja.
Botanical Name: Cynodon dactylon
Other Names:Bermuda grass, Dhoob, dūrvā grass, ethana grass, dubo, dog’s tooth grass, Bahama grass, devil’s grass, couch grass, Indian doab, arugampul, grama, wiregrass, and scutch grass
How to Identify Durva Grass?
Doob can grow upto 5-30 cm tall. Each stem is covered with multiple gray-green blades that are 5-15 cm long. Doob grass creeps on the ground, forming a dense mat. It requires a warm, sunny, and temperate climate (around 20 – 36 °C) to thrive. Even if the grass, along with roots, is pulled out, the plant sprouts back within a short span.
Growing Doob Grass
Select an open and sunny place in the yard, that gets at least 5-6 hours of sunlight. Prepare the land by removing stones, weeds, and debris. Add farmyard or well-rotted cow dung manure in the soil, and mix it well.
- Purchase good quality seeds from a vendor and spread them evenly on the garden.
- Cover with a thin layer of soil. Do not put too much soil on the seeds, as it may inhibit germination.
- Mist the soil daily to keep the soil moist but not damp.
- It will take around 3-4 weeks for seeds to germinate.
- It may take as long as 4-5 months for seeds to develop into lush doob grass.
Durva Grass Benefits
- Having a juice of doob grass empty stomach in the morning relieves ulcers and acidity.
- Doob contains a compound known as Cynodon dactylon protein fractions (cdpf) that promotes immunity in the body.
- Doob grass has a hypoglycemic effect; thus, a mixture of neem and doob grass juice keeps blood sugar levels in check.
- A decoction prepared from 3 tsp doob grass, 4-5 black peppers, and a pinch of cumin seeds help to control obesity and weight.
- Applying doob grass juice around the eyes works as an eye cooler and relieves eye infections.
- Walking barefoot on this grass, preferably during the morning time improves eyesight.