Do you want to know about the Best Sunflower Season in India? Here’s all the information on Planting Sunflower Seeds to get the best flowers!
If you want to know about the Best Sunflower Season in India, then you can do it between January to June. To know more details, continue reading!
Learn the Benefits of Sunflower Seeds Here
Planting Sunflower Seeds
- Get good quality seeds from a nursery or a garden center.
- Sow them in well-draining soil, anywhere between January to June. The plant will be ready to flower around summer or rain.
- Select a location that gets plenty of sunlight and is also protected from strong wind.
- You can also plant the seeds in 4-5 weeks’ succession. This will help you enjoy continuous blooms.
- The seeds will sprout in 2-3 weeks. The plant will be ready to flower in 2-3 months.
Check out the mini sunflower Varieties Here
Growing Requirements of Sunflower
As the name suggests, sunflowers love the sun and do their best in direct light. For abundant blooms, make sure the plants get 5-6 hours of direct sun daily.
Sunflowers have long taproots, so make sure the soil is not compact. It should be loose, well-draining, and moderately fertile.
Water the plant regularly and keep the soil consistently moist during the initial growing phase. If you do not provide ample watering, it will develop weak stems that may not be able to hold the weight of the large flowers.
As a thumb rule, water the plant deeply whenever topsoil feels dry to touch.
Sunflowers prefer warm temperatures to thrive and bloom. The average Indian temperature range of 24-35 C serves the best.
Any nitrogen-based fertilizer like 6-4-3 is best for sunflowers. Dilute it to half of its strength and use it once in 4-6 weeks.
Pests and Diseases
You don’t have to worry much about the pests with sunflowers. Be careful of downy and powdery mildew. Do not overwater the plant to keep the potential issues at bay.