Red Passion Flower is a beautiful and unique plant that can add color and interest to any garden or landscape.
The Red Passion Flower is primarily grown as an ornamental plant for its beautiful blooms. It can also attract pollinators such as butterflies and hummingbirds.. Here is a complete guide on growing it.
Red Passion Flower Information
The Red Passion Flower is a flowering vine species of the Passiflora genus. It is also known by other common names such as scarlet passion flower, red granadilla, and red bell apple. The plant produces showy, crimson-red flowers about 3 inches wide.
The flowers have a unique structure with five petals, five sepals, and a fringed corona. The foliage is green and serrated, and the vine can grow up to 15-20 feet long. The Red Passion Flower is native to South America, specifically in the Amazon basin, but it is now widely cultivated in many tropical and subtropical regions worldwide.
Botanical Name: Passiflora racemosa
Here are some common names for the Red Passion Flower in different Indian languages:
Hindi: लाल जवाहरा फूल (Laal Javahara Phool)
Bengali: লাল প্যাশন ফুল (Laal Pashan Phool)
Tamil: சிவப்பு காமலத்தை (Sivappu Kaamalathai)
Telugu: ఎర్ర పేషన్ ఫ్లవర్ (Erra Peshan Phlavar)
Kannada: ಕೆಂಪು ಪ್ಯಾಶನ್ ಫ್ಲವರ್ (Kempu Pyaashan Flavar)
Malayalam: ചുവന്ന പാഷൻ പൂവ് (Chuvanna Paashan Poov)
Marathi: लाल पॅशन फूल (Laal Pashan Phool)
Gujarati: લાલ પેશન ફ્લાવર (Laal Peshan Flavar)
Check Out How to Grow Sadabahar Ka Phool here
How to Grow Red Passion Flower?
Growing this plant from seeds can be a rewarding experience. Here are the steps to follow:
- Collect ripe Red Passion Flower seeds from a mature plant. The seeds should be black and shiny and come out easily when the fruit is ripe.
- Prepare a well-draining soil mix by combining equal parts of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite.
- Place the seeds in a water bowl and let them soak for 24-48 hours. This will help soften the hard seed coat and improve germination.
- Red Passion Flower seeds require warmth and light to germinate. Plant the seeds in the soil mix about 1/4 inch deep. Water the soil thoroughly but avoid overwatering, which can cause the seeds to rot. Place the planting container in a warm, bright location, or use a heating mat to provide consistent warmth.
- The seeds can take 2-4 weeks to germinate. Keep the soil moist but not soggy during this time. Once the seedlings have grown to about 2-3 inches tall, they can be transplanted into larger containers or outdoors in a well-prepared garden bed.
Check Out 24 Best Popular Flowers Names in Bengali here!
Requirements to Grow Red Passion Flower
Red Passion Flower requires full sun to partial shade to grow and bloom well. Planting the vine in a location that receives at least 5-6 hours of direct sunlight daily is best.
The soil should be rich in organic matter and well-draining. Red Passion Flower prefers slightly acidic soil with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5. To improve quality, you can amend the soil with compost or well-rotted manure.
Check Out the Best Dianthus Flower Season in India here
The plant requires regular watering, especially during the growing season (spring and summer). Water it profoundly but avoid overwatering, which can cause root rot. Allow the soil to dry out slightly between watering.
The plant thrives in warm Indian climates with temperatures ranging between 20°C to 30°C. It flourishes during warm summers but should be protected from prolonged temperatures below 15°C in milder winters. With a tolerance for higher temperatures up to 35°C, providing occasional shade during extreme heat is beneficial.
Red Passion Flower Care
These plants benefit from regular fertilization to promote healthy growth and blooming. Fertilize the plant every two weeks during the growing season with a balanced fertilizer.
Prune the vine in late winter or early spring before new growth appears. This will help promote new growth and keep the plant in shape.
Check Out Best Hollyhock Flower Season in India here
Pests and Diseases
Regularly inspect your plant for any signs of pests, such as tiny webs or discolored leaves. You can control pests by spraying your plant with insecticidal soap or neem oil.