Explore How to Grow Polyscias Scutellaria which can thrive both indoors and outdoors, adding a touch of tropical beauty to any setting.
Commonly known as Aralia, Plum Aralia is a small tropical tree that belongs to the Araliaceae family. It is native to the Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia and is a popular ornamental plant for its attractive foliage. Here are some features and information about How to Grow Polyscias Scutellaria in India.
Polyscias Scutellaria – Key Facts
|Shield Aralia, or Plum Aralia
|Pacific Ocean Islands, especially New Guinea and other surrounding islands.
|Indoor and Outdoors
|18°C to 24°C
|0.8 cups of water every 9 days
|Summer to Winters
Polyscias Scutellaria Information
Polyscias Scutellaria is a small to medium-sized evergreen shrub that can reach heights of around 2 to 6 Feet in indoor cultivation. Its growth habit is bushy and can be pruned to maintain a compact form.
The plant may not bloom frequently. However, the small, inconspicuous flowers that appear are typically greenish-white and may not be ornamental. This species is not particularly known for its fruits. In indoor settings, it is less likely to produce significant fruiting.
The most distinctive feature of Polyscias Scutellaria is its attractive, glossy, dark green leaves. The leaves are palmately compound, with several leaflets arranged like fingers on a hand. The leaflets are often toothed or lobed, adding to the ornamental value of the plant.
Polyscias Scutellaria is grown as an ornamental plant and is commonly found in India, both in indoor settings and in outdoor gardens in suitable climates. Its adaptability to indoor conditions and attractive foliage make it a favored choice for those seeking low-maintenance and visually appealing indoor greenery.
Common Names: Shield Aralia, or Plum Aralia
Learn How to Grow Abrus Precatorius in India here
How to Grow Polyscias Scutellaria in India
Growing Polyscias Scutellaria from seeds in India requires well-draining soil, regular watering, and occasional fertilization and pruning. Here are the steps to grow Polyscias Scutellaria from seeds in India:
- Purchase seeds from a reputable supplier or collect them from a mature plant. Make sure the seeds are fresh and viable.
- Fill a container with well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. Make sure the container has drainage holes at the bottom. A soil mixture of equal parts peat moss, sand, and perlite is ideal.
- Sow the seeds in the soil, ensuring they are covered with a thin layer of soil. Water the soil lightly, but make sure it is not waterlogged.
- Polyscias Scutellaria seeds take about 2-4 weeks to germinate. During this time, keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. The container should be placed in a warm, bright location, but avoid direct sunlight.
- Once the seedlings have grown to about 2 inches, transplant them into individual pots filled with the same soil mixture used for germination. Ensure the pots have good drainage and are large enough to accommodate the growing plant.
- Polyscias Scutellaria requires regular watering, but it should not be overwatered, as this can lead to root rot. Water the plant deeply once a week, allowing the top layer of soil to dry out slightly between waterings. The plant also benefits from regular fertilization during the growing season.
- As the plant grows, it may need to be repotted into a larger container. This should be done in the spring, just before the growing season begins. Use a larger pot with good drainage and a soil mixture rich in organic matter.
Explore How to Grow Thespesia Populnea here
Requirements to Grow Polyscias Scutellaria
Polyscias Scutellaria prefers bright, indirect sunlight. It can tolerate some direct sunlight, but too much can scorch its leaves. It’s best to place the plant near a window that receives bright, filtered light or in a spot where it can receive a few hours of direct morning sunlight.
The tree grows best in well-draining, nutrient-rich soil. The soil pH should be slightly acidic, between 5.5 and 6.5. A good potting mix for this plant should include equal parts of peat moss, perlite, and sand.
Discover How to Grow Crescentia Cujete in India here
Polyscias Scutellaria needs regular watering to keep the soil moist, but it should not be overwatered. Overwatering can lead to root rot and other fungal diseases. Water the plant deeply once in 9 days, allowing the top inch of soil to dry out slightly between waterings. If the plant is grown in a container, ensure it has good drainage to prevent water from accumulating in the bottom.
The tree prefers warm temperatures. The temperature should ideally be between 18°C to 24°C. It can tolerate slightly cooler temperatures but should be protected and kept indoors in winter.
Polyscias Scutellaria Care
Polyscias Scutellaria benefits from regular fertilization during the growing season. Use a balanced fertilizer with a ratio of 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 monthly during the spring and summer to encourage healthy growth.
Reduce fertilization during the fall and winter when the plant is dormant.
Prune the tree in the spring or early summer to control its growth and shape. Shread any dead, damaged, or diseased wood, and trim any overgrown or wayward branches.
Be careful not to remove too much of the plant, as this can reduce foliage density.
Check Out How to Grow Ixora Chinensis in India here
Pests and Diseases
Regularly inspect the plant for signs of pests or diseases. Please treat them with insecticidal soap or neem oil.
Advantages of Polyscias Scutellaria
- Like many other plants, Polyscias Scutellaria can help improve indoor air quality by removing harmful pollutants from the air. It can filter out impurities such as formaldehyde, benzene, and trichloroethylene, making it a great addition to any home or office.
- Polyscias Scutellaria is a beautiful plant that can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any indoor or outdoor space. Its lush, glossy foliage and attractive growth habit make it popular for landscaping or interior decoration.
- It is relatively easy to care for and requires minimal maintenance. Polyscias Scutellaria can tolerate many growing conditions and is resistant to pests and diseases. This makes it an ideal choice for beginner gardeners or busy individuals who don’t have much time to care for their plants.
- Research has shown that spending time around plants can help reduce stress and anxiety. Polyscias Scutellaria attractive foliage and calming green color can create a soothing and relaxing atmosphere, making it a great addition to any living or workspace.