Boerhavia Diffusa is popular for its healing properties and the best part is, you can easily grow it in pots! Here are all the details!
Boerhavia Diffusa is a misunderstood weed native to our motherland, India. It is a prostrate herb with very diffuse inflorescences. The flowers although not quite well known in the botanical world are very appealing to the eye. They are of the pleasing colours of purplish red to reddish pink or nearly white. This plant is a boon to the tribal people of India they use it for various medical treatments.
Learn how to grow Sahadevi ka Ped (Growing Little Ironweed) here
Information about Boerhavia Diffusa
Boerhavia Diffusa, also known as or Hogweed, is a herbaceous plant native to India and other parts of Asia. It has been used for centuries in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for its various medicinal properties. Boerhavia Diffusa is renowned for its diuretic effects, promoting healthy kidney function and flushing out toxins from the body.
It also exhibits anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce swelling and pain. Additionally, it has been studied for its potential antioxidant, antimicrobial, and hepatoprotective properties.
Botanical Name: Boerhavia Diffusa
Common Names: Red hogweed, Tar Vine, Red Spiderling, Wineflower, Punarnava, Satha
Common names of Boerhavia diffusa plant in various Indian languages:
Hindi: पुनर्नवा (Punarnava)
Tamil: முட்டாளி (Muttāḷi)
Telugu: పునర్నవ (Punarnava)
Kannada: ಪುನರ್ನವ (Punarnava)
Malayalam: പുനര്ന്നവ (Punarnnava)
Bengali: পুনর্নবা (Punarnava)
Gujarati: પુનર્નવા (Punarnava)
Marathi: पुनर्नवा (Punarnava)
Punjabi: ਪੁਨਰਨਵਾ (Punarnava)
Odia: ପୁନର୍ନଵା (Punarnava)
Urdu: پنیرنوا (Punarnava)
Check out best indoor vines and climbers you can grow here
Propagation of Boerhavia Diffusa
Propagation of Boerhavia Diffusa can be done through the following steps:
- Seed Collection: Wait for the Boerhavia Diffusa plant to produce mature seed pods. Harvest the seed pods when they turn brown and dry on the plant. Gently remove the pods from the plant and collect the seeds.
- Seed Preparation: Place the collected seeds in a clean container and allow them to dry further for a few days. This will help remove any moisture and ensure better germination.
- Soil Preparation: Prepare a well-draining potting mix by combining equal parts of sand, perlite, and peat moss. This will provide a suitable growing medium for the seeds.
- Sowing the Seeds: Fill small pots or seed trays with the prepared potting mix. Sprinkle the Boerhavia Diffusa seeds evenly on the surface of the soil and lightly press them into the soil. Do not bury them too deep.
- Moisture and Light: Moisten the soil by gently watering it, ensuring that it is evenly moist but not waterlogged. Place the pots or trays in a warm and well-lit area that receives partial sunlight.
- Germination and Growth: Boerhavia Diffusa seeds typically germinate within 1-2 weeks. During this time, ensure that the soil remains consistently moist. Once the seedlings emerge, provide them with bright, indirect sunlight for healthy growth.
- Transplanting: Once the seedlings have developed a few sets of true leaves and are large enough to handle, they can be transplanted into individual pots or directly into the garden bed. Choose a location with well-draining soil and partial sunlight for optimal growth.
Requirements to Grow Boerhavia Diffusa
Boerhavia Diffusa thrives in full sunlight to partial shade conditions. It prefers a sunny location where it can receive at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight each day. Adequate sunlight is essential for the plant’s growth, flowering, and overall health.
However, it can also tolerate some shade, especially during the hottest part of the day, as excessive heat may stress the plant.
The plant requires well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. It prefers a slightly acidic to neutral pH range of around 6.0 to 7.5. The soil should have good moisture retention capabilities while allowing excess water to drain away easily.
This herbaceous plant can tolerate a range of soil types, including sandy, loamy, and clay soils, as long as they are well-draining.
Explore 7 plants that grow in sandy soil here
The Hogweed plant needs regular and consistent watering to thrive. It prefers moist soil but does not tolerate waterlogged conditions. Water the plant deeply, allowing the soil to become moderately moist but not saturated.
During the growing season, water the plant whenever the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch. Adjust the watering frequency based on environmental conditions
Boerhavia Diffusa is a warm-weather plant that is well adapted to tropical and subtropical regions. It requires a minimum temperature of around 15°C for healthy growth. Ideally, the plant prefers temperatures between 21°C to 32°C.
It can tolerate brief periods of higher temperatures, but prolonged exposure to extreme heat may stress the plant. Protecting it from frost is crucial, as it is sensitive to cold temperatures.
Maintaining a moderate to high humidity level, preferably between 50% to 70%, will create a favorable growing environment for Boerhavia Diffusa and support its healthy growth and development.
Care for Boerhavia Diffusa
Boerhavia Diffusa benefits from regular fertilization to ensure it receives adequate nutrients for robust growth. Use a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer with equal NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) ratio or slightly higher in nitrogen. Apply the fertilizer every 4-6 weeks during the growing season.
Learn why adding Manure and Fertilizers to the plants is beneficial here
The process of pruning Boerhavia Diffusa is beneficial to maintain its shape, promote bushier growth, and encourage continuous flowering. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches or leaves as soon as you notice them.
Regularly trim back excessive growth or long, leggy stems to encourage a compact and well-branched plant.
Pests and Diseases
Boerhavia Diffusa is generally resistant to pests and diseases, making it a relatively low-maintenance plant. However, like any other plant, it can still be susceptible to certain issues.
Learn about 11 major types of plant Diseases and how to take care of them here
Boerhavia Diffusa is generally considered safe for consumption when used in moderate amounts as a herbal remedy or food ingredient. However, it’s important to note that specific studies on the toxicity of this plant are limited.
As with any herbal product, individual sensitivities and allergic reactions can occur. It is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional or an herbalist before using Boerhavia Diffusa for medicinal purposes.