If you want to flaunt beautiful canary flowers, then growing Barleria Lupulina is a great choice! Here’s all about Yellow Bush Violet Care!
If you’re looking to add some color and charm to your garden, you might want to consider Barleria Lupulina. This vibrant and lovely plant can brighten up any space with its stunning purple flowers and lush green foliage. Let’s have a look at growing Yellow Bush Violet.
Check out 34 Best 12 Months Flowering Plants here
Barleria Lupulina Information
Barleria Lupulina is a type of plant that belongs to the Acanthaceae family. It is native to various regions in India and is commonly found in the central, western, and southern parts of the country. Yellow Bush Violet is popular as the Yellow Barleria due to its bright yellow flowers. This plant is native to Southern Africa and is widely used in traditional medicine for its therapeutic properties.
Barleria lupulina is a compact shrub that typically grows to a height of 1-1.5 meters (3-5 feet). Yellow Bush Violet has a spreading and bushy habit, forming a dense foliage. It is said to have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, making it useful for treating various ailments such as skin infections and rheumatism.
Additionally, it is a hardy and low-maintenance plant that can thrive in a variety of conditions. Overall, Barleria Lupulina is a versatile plant that offers both aesthetic and medicinal benefits.
Common Names: Hop-headed Barleria, Setawar Sekelian Biasa, Yellow dwarf barleria or Golden hedgespur.
Explore 8 Trees with Yellow Flowers in India here
How to Propagate Barleria Lupulina?
Barleria lupulina can be propagated through several methods, including seeds, stem cuttings, and division. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Collect mature seeds from a healthy Barleria lupulina plant. The seeds are typically small and black.
- Prepare a seed tray or small pots with well-draining potting mix.
- Sow Yellow Bush Violet seeds on the surface of the soil and lightly press them down. Do not bury the seeds too deep, as they require light for germination.
- Mist the soil surface with water to ensure it is evenly moist.
- Place the tray or pots in a warm and bright location, away from direct sunlight.
- Keep the soil consistently moist, but avoid overwatering.
- Germination should occur within a few weeks. Once the seedlings have grown a few sets of true leaves, they can be transplanted into larger pots or directly into the garden.
Stem Cutting Propagation:
- Take stem cuttings from a healthy Barleria lupulina plant during the active growing season, preferably in spring or early summer.
- Select a healthy stem that is about 4 to 6 inches long and has several sets of leaves.
- Remove the lower leaves, leaving a few sets of leaves at the top.
- Dip the cut end of the stem in a rooting hormone powder or gel to promote root development (optional).
- Prepare a well-draining potting mix or a mixture of sand and peat moss.
- Insert the Yellow Bush Violet cutting into the potting mix, burying about 2 inches of the stem.
- Water the soil thoroughly and place the pot in a warm location with indirect sunlight.
- Maintain the soil moisture, allowing it to dry slightly between waterings.
- After a few weeks, the cutting should develop roots. Once the roots have established, the new plant can be transplanted into a larger pot or directly into the garden.
Learn List of Plants that Grow from Stem Cuttings in India here
Requirements to Grow Barleria lupulina
Barleria lupulina thrives in full sun to partial shade. It requires at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight daily for optimal growth and flowering. Place Yellow Bush Violet in a location where it can receive adequate sunlight throughout the day.
Barleria lupulina prefers well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. It can adapt to a range of soil types, including sandy or loamy soil. Ensure the soil has good drainage to prevent waterlogging and avoid heavy clay soil.
Provide regular watering to Barleria lupulina, especially during the dry season or hot summer months. Water deeply, allowing the soil to dry slightly between waterings.
Once established, Yellow Bush Violet can tolerate some drought, but it prefers consistently moist soil.
Barleria lupulina thrives in tropical and subtropical climates. It prefers warm temperatures ranging from 20°C to 35°C and can tolerate mild winter conditions. Yellow Bush Violet is adapted to regions with moderate to high humidity and can withstand periods of drought.
Explore How to Grow Pereskia Aculeata | Barbados Gooseberry Care here
Barleria Lupulina Care
Fertilize Barleria lupulina during the growing season with a balanced slow-release fertilizer. Use a fertilizer with a ratio of nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K) around 10-10-10 or a similar formulation.
Apply the fertilizer according to the package instructions, typically every 4-6 weeks, to promote healthy growth and flowering.
Prune Barleria lupulina regularly to maintain its shape and promote bushier growth. After flowering, trim back the spent flowers and remove any dead or damaged branches. Pruning also helps maintain a compact form and encourages new growth.
Pests and Diseases
Watch out for fungal diseases like powdery mildew and leaf spot. Provide good air circulation around Yellow Bush Violet, avoid overwatering, and remove any infected leaves to prevent the spread of diseases.